Well, my oldest daughter, Miss Bug, recently had her 8th birthday and she asked for a bed canopy! I wasn't even sure where she had gotten this idea and of course, she told me that she had seen in on TV. Since my girls have bunk beds in their room, I kind of dismissed it at first - letting her to believe that it wasn't possible.
But - the more I measured and looked into it, I decided that it could be done! This is a REALLY simple design that was fairly inexpensive and only took me a couple of hours to assemble. (It might have taken less time but I was doing this between the hours of midnight and 2:00 AM and probably wasn't thinking real clearly!)
Here's what you need:
1 small hula hoop
5 spools of ribbon (each 30 feet)
12 yards of tulle (or more if you want it really full)
1 hook to hang it from the ceiling
flowers, butterflies, etc. for decoration
no-sew fabric glue
How to make it:
1) Cover the hula hoop by wrapping ribbon around it
2) Cut the tulle in to 8-10 foot pieces (depends on your ceiling height)
3) Wrap them around hula hoop and glue
4) Glue two pieces of equal length ribbon across the top to form a cross
5) Cut your other ribbon pieces and glue them around top of hula hoop so they hang down against tulle
6) Glue flowers around the top (could also use a feather boa here for fun)
7) Clip on butterflies, glue sparkles, etc.
Check out the final product and the HAPPY girl!!